Lori Desautels’ new book, How May I Serve You? Revelations in Education was just published by Part East Press. Dr. Desautels discusses the power of social and emotional learning in and out of schools.
We also recommend Ellen Galinsky’s Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs
Primary Works on Mindful Education, SEL, and Brain-based Learning
- D. Goleman, Emotional Intelligence (1995).
- E. Jensen, Teaching with the Brain in Mind (2005).
- E. Jensen, Brain-based Learning (2008).
- E. Langer, The Power of Mindful Learning (1997).
- E. Macdonald and D. Shirley, The Mindful Teacher (2009).
- D. Siegel, Mindsight (2010).
- D. Siegel, The Mindful Brain (2007).
- D. Sousa, How the Brain Learns (2006).
- R. Carter, Mapping the Mind (2010).
- B.K. Given, Teaching to the Brain’s Natural Learning Systems (2002).
- D. Goleman, Social Intelligence: the New Science of Human relationships (2006).
- J. Kabat-Zinn, Full Catastrophe Living (1990).
- L. Lantieri, ed., Schools with Spirit: Nurturing the Inner Lives of Children and Teachers (2001).
- S. Lyubomirsky, The how of happiness: A scientific approach to getting the life you want (2008).
- C. Schoonover, Portraits of the Mind (2010).
- Scientific American, The Book of the Brain (1999).
- D. Siegel, The Developing Mind (1999).
- J. Willis. Brain-Friendly Strategies for Inclusion in the Classroom: Insights from a Neurologist and Classroom Teacher (2007).
- J.E. Zins, R. Weissberg, M.C. Wang and H.J. Walberg (Eds.). Building Academic Success on Social and Emotional Learning: What Does the Research Say? (2004)
- S.N. Bhanoo (2011). How Meditation May Change the Brain, New York Times, January 28, 2011 (link).
- K.W. Brown and Ryan, R. (2003). The benefits of being present: Mindfulness and its role in psychological well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 822-848.
- L. Flook, L, Smalley, S., Kitil, M., Galla, B., Kaiser-Greenland, S., Locke, J., et al. (2010). Effects of mindful awareness practices on executive functions in elementary school children. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 26, 70-95.
- M.T. Greenberg, Weissberg, R. P., Utne O’Brien, M., Zins, J. E., Fredericks, L. Resnik, H. et al. (2003). Enhancing school-based prevention and youth development through coordinated social, emotional, and academic-learning. American Psychologist, 58, 466-474.
- E. Langer (2000). Mindful Learning. American Psychological Society, 9:6, 220-223. (Link)
- K.A. Schonert-Reichl (2007). Middle childhood inside and out: The psychological and social world of children 9 – 12. Vancouver, BC. The University of British Columbia, Department of Educational and Counseling Psychology and Special Education.
- K.A. Schonert-Reichl and Stewart Lawlor, M. (2010). The effects of a mindfulness-based education program on pre- and early adolescents’ well-being and social and emotional competence. Mindfulness.
- K.A. Schonert-Reichl and Hymel, S. (2007). Educating the heart as well as the mind: Why social and emotional learning is critical for students’ school and life success. Education Canada, 47, 20-25. (Link)
On-line Sources for Teachers
- The Whole Brain Atlas: http://www.med.harvard.edu/AANLIB/home.html (A complex site of brain images with labels on MRI images, along with brain anatomy tests.)
- Brain Facts and Figures: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html (Provides a wealth of data about the brain, human and otherwise.)
- Association of Mindfulness in Education: http://www.mindfuleducation.org/about.html (Collection of resources and research articles on mindfulness education.)
- Mindfulness Together: http://innerkids.ning.com/ (Web site for social networking sponsored by the Inner Kids program of Los Angeles, CA.)
- Garrison Institute: www.garrisoninstitute.org (The Institute’s mission is to help build a more compassionate, resilient future. Offers many retreats and workshops focused on mindfulness.)
- Daniel Siegel Homepage: http://drdansiegel.com/?page=home (Site is loaded with video, interviews, and insights from one of the leaders in the field of mindfulness education.)
- Reach and Discover: http://www.radteach.com/ (Dr. Judy Willis’s website rich in teacher resources.)
- Judy Willis on the Science of Learning, Edutopia (media link)